Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Job

Ok, I'll get to the main event in just a little bit.  But first, I'll update on what's been going on.  I will be starting my 4th week of work.  I'm really liking it and i'm starting to get the hang of how things are done.  It's kind of a complicated job, but this is what it is.  I am hired by Family Speech and Therapy Services that is a private practice that does Speech and Occupational Therapy.  They have a contract with Anoka-Hennepin County School District.  I work in the school district's Early Intervention Program which is the birth-3 year old program.  The department of education provides speech, occupation, physical therapy, special ed teachers services, and some other services to any children that qualify in the district.  We go out to the homes and do therapy in the homes with the families.  Part of our job is training the families on how to help their kids and some things they can do.  So (sorry J Cliff, started a sentence with "So") the district has a new schedule for the EI program.  Instead of being on a traditional "teacher" schedule our 9 months are spread across 12 months.  For example, the month September I worked at the district for 3 weeks then I am off the last week of the month.  In October I work three weeks then I'm off one week.  Because the contract employees are not technically "district" employees we aren't off on those weeks.  I'm at Family Speech the weeks I'm "off" fillin in and doing therapy there if some therapists are gone.  The best part of that is Family Speech is closed on Fridays.  So whenever we are at the clinic I get Fridays off!  I keep saying we because Family Speech hired 5 new SLPs to work at the district.  They've had lots of changes at the District including the new schedule.  But I like it so far.  And there are 3 other girls that are my age that just graduated from their master's and we are having a lot of fun and helping each other out a lot because I have a LOT of questions.


Prairie Home Companion will be the next post.  Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment