Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Como Zoo

Sunday afternoon David and I went to the zoo up the block from our apartment.  We hopped on our bikes and rode up to Como Park, Conservatory, and Zoo.  The conservatory is absolutely beautiful.  One of our friends, Trish, told us that it's a great place to go in the winter when you're sick of the cold because it's a tropical haven. Here's the beautiful building from the outside.  We didn't go in the conservatory this time, just went to the zoo. 



  The zoo was a lot of fun too.  It's the free zoo in the twin cities, so it's a little bit smaller than the Minnesota Zoo, but still has some great animals.  Here's a few that we saw.





The snow leopards and polar bears have outdoor living spaces, and they told us that in the winter they are running around and playing in the snow.  Can't wait to see that.  The grizzly bears just got to Como 2 months ago.  Then David and I saw this tiger playing in his area.  I'm going to try to upload a video.  We'll see if it works.



Then we went to the Primate house and saw some really awesome monkeys.  They had gorillas, orangatangs, spider monkeys, and some other tiny ones.  I took a video of the baby and momma orangatang playing with each other.






While we were looking at the monkeys, on a Sunday afternoon, I received a phone call from the lady I interviewed with last Thursday.  She told me that I would know something by Monday, so I was surprised to hear from her on Sunday.  She told me she had emailed me an offer letter and that the job was mine if I wanted it.  The job is with Family Speech and Therapy Services, and I will be fulfilling a contract with a school district.  I will be doing home visits for the birth-three population in that school district.  I'm really excited about it.  I start September 6th.  I know I have a lot to learn and Melissa, my boss, comforted me by telling me there are 12 other SLPs in the school district that I'll be in doing home visits as well.  The cool thing about this private practice is that my contract with the school district is on a 9-month schedule spread over 12-months.  So I will be doing home visits for 5 weeks then at the clinic one week, then home visits 4 weeks and clinic one week and so on.  Then when I'm in the clinic on those weeks we have Fridays off!!! Yay!  That's all I know about the job right now. We are very thankful!












 

No comments:

Post a Comment