Monday, August 29, 2011

Restaurants

For a few weeks now, I've been trying to decide where we would eat when Rachel and Nick came to visit.  There are so many options, but I'm quite pleased with the ones we ended up with.  Saturday morning we went down Lexington Ave to historic Grand Ave to get breakfast at The Uptowner.  This was an excellent decision.  Nick ordered the Tex Mex that was a tortilla filled with hashbrowns, onions, and sausage topped with homemade salsa. 


Rachel ordered a Denver omelet and a biscuit.  It also looked delicious. 

We knew we would be eating a lot Saturday, and everything we ate was absolutely wonderful. 














David ordered the mighty meat omelet...of course...and he loved it. 




I couldn't make my mind up, so I got eggs, hashbrowns bacon, and toast! The sourdough toast was absolutely delicious and the hashbrowns were the best hashbrowns I've ever had.  I was tempted to add a side of French Toast...yes their sides were french toast and pancakes.  These portions were huge, but pretty reasonable prices. 
The afternoon is a whole other post entirely, so I am moving on to dinner.  I was very excited because I have been waiting to have a Juicy Lucy, and tonight was the night.  We went to a restaurant called The Blue Door (also in St. Paul) and all ordered Juicy Lucy's.  David had the Blucy--bleu cheese and garlic in the middle of the patty.  Rachel had the Bacon--bacon and cheese inside the patty.  Nick had the Mushroom Swiss---obvious.  I had the Luau Lucy--mozzarella and canadian bacon inside the patty with rings of pineapple cook in jerk sauce on top of the patty.  Here's a pic:


mmmm...look at the ooey gooey mozzarella! It was amazing!  So as if we hadn't eaten enough, we had to go to Grand Ole Creamery on Grand Ave to try the homemade ice cream.  I had a delicious scoop of Mac Daddy--pralines and cream ice cream with oreos chunks in it.  Holy Moly it was awesome!  I can't wait to go back and try more flavors!!



Sunday morning we decided to skip breakfast and eat lunch at a place called Cafe Latte--also on Grand Ave. You need to look at their website to see pictures of their delicious food because mine won't do justice.  I think it's my favorite "realistic" place that I will go to pretty often.  If you ever heard me talk about Oxford, then you heard me talk about Newk's.  I think I've found my Newk's replacement.  It won't completely take Newk's place, but I'm very glad I've got this place.  I had a salad sampler. 


David got soup so we shared both.  Nick got a salad and a dip platter that you could pick 3 out of 5 or 6 dips such as hummus, black bean, and smoked salmon dip served with a baguette, cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions.  It was awesome!!  Rachel had soup and a sandwich.  I didn't try any desserts, but I can not wait til my birthday because I found my cake! Drool.

Across the street from Cafe Latte there's a placed called Bread and Chocolate which is owned by Cafe Latte.  It's got cookies, brownies, pastries, and a coffee bar.  They were voted best Brownie in the twin cities.  My goal is to get there early enough on Saturday morning to get a cinnamon roll. 

 So there's a quick run through of some of the wonderful restaurants that St. Paul has to offer. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, my. I'm drooling.....
    (This is Andee Cone. My grandmom name is 'annie'....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pregnant right now and can't stand most food, but that salad!!! I want that salad right now. I don't want to make it, mind you, but I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hannah! I'm so excited for you! That's great!! On the other hand, I'm so sorry that you're feeling so sick. And I hope you were able to bypass the pictures and descriptions of the food that looks disgusting. The salad was delicious!! I'm sure some place in Little Rock would have something similar! :)

    ReplyDelete